Saturday, February 7, 2009

Let's Do the Time Warp Again

I don't know what it is about banks but, when it comes to fashion, they seem to be stuck in the 1950s. This memo from the Bank of England's been circulating on the Net: http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/defining-quot-business-appropriate-quot-attire-the-bank-of-englands-insulting-memo-to-women-362080/

What's sad is that it is oddly familiar to me. First, one of my coworkers was called out by our customers because her pregnancy has left her rather well endowed in the cleav area. So we were all reprimanded and given a note dictating proper business attire.

We are not to wear casual clothes. In fact, tellers are encouraged to wear suits or blazers and skirts. To which I say, they must be smoking something. If you expect me to dress like a banker, you best pay me like one. Anndd we're required to wear panty hose at all times. Even if we never wear skirts. I never hosed it up til it got cold out. And even then, I'm usually wearing colored tights and knee socks. It's my secret rebellion.

And when we were taken over by PNC, we got a new set of dress guidelines. This one says, no piercings allowed except for one set on the ear. And only for women. I'm sorry, why are you policing double piercings. Whatevs, I'm keeping my nose ring. And if anyone asks, I'm claiming its a religious symbol. Cuz that's the only exception to the guidelines. And I will totally use the fact that no one here knows anything about Hinduism.

We can't dye our hair any unnatural colors (whose to say what those are?), we can't wear heels over a certain height, blah blah, the list goes on.

The way we choose to dress, whether we realize it or not, says something about our personality. Even our lack of creativity is an expression of who we are. So to deem certain things acceptable and others non-acceptable (really, why is is not acceptable to have your hair a certain way or not wear noticeable make-up?) is going a bit too far. Yes, you should dress up when you go to work. But I don't believe women should be made into gender norm robots.

- De

No comments: