Thursday, March 19, 2009

Does This Make Me a Hypocrite?


Tonight, I submitted my application to Playboy Industries. Not for a modeling gig, duh! It's for an editorial researcher position at the magazine.


I honestly have no idea what that position would entail. Calling up the Playmate of the Month to verify her sexual history? Fact checking pervy letters? If nothing else this'll be interesting.


In light of last week's feminist rant, this submission may seem a bit hypocritical. Hef might have been a part of the sexual revolution but, he did not give women the power to liberate themselves. Sexuality can be empowering, don't get me wrong. But from what I've seen and read, Playboy also exploits some really dumb women.


I could see that in the long run, spending my whole work week pouring over the misogynistic contents of the magazine could end up somewhat mentally damaging. Not to mention doing a number on my self esteem. But hey, I need the work.


And you know, Gloria Steinem, the face of American feminism, worked for Hef at one time. And she did it wearing a bunny costume. What's good enough for her is good enough for me.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

not to nitpick, but wasn't Steinem already a respected journalist doing undercover research for an article?

anyway, best of luck on the application and we'll support you no matter what you choose.

divadiv said...

Thanks.

I do believe she was a journalist already though I think her undercover expose at the Bunny Club was what launched her fame.