Monday, October 17, 2011

Ten Things We Love About Mindy Kaling


Seems like our girl Mindy is everywhere these days as she gets ready to promote her new book, Is Everybody Hanging Out Without Me?, entertaining us weekly as Kelly Kapoor on The Office and breaking down rom-com stereotypes in The New Yorker.

Here's a list of just a few of the many things we love about Mindy (and you should too):

1. Watching this first generation Indian-American woman (her birth name is Vera Chokalingam) stake her claim on the American comedy scene is pretty inspiring for us fellow Desis. She's fierce, funny and and bringing a new face to TV. I'm pretty sure a majority of my non-Hindu friends learned about Diwali through The Office.

2. She is a master Tweeter. Ask any of her 1.5 million+ followers.

3. She's from Cambridge, and from what I gather from Tweet stalkery, returns for visits often. My not-so-secret hope is to spot her out on the town while I'm still in Boston. In a recent Bust Magazine interview, she admitted she likes getting recognized and being approached by fans, so hopefully she would not be creeped out by my adoration.

4. It's like she's inside our heads. Seriously, Is everybody hanging out without me? And thank god we didn't peak in high school. This blog wouldn't exist.

5. She recently restarted her fashion blog, Things I Bought That I Love. She might be Ivy educated, but she's not above bright prints and glittery nails.

6. She started writing for The Office when she was 24. 24. Now she's an executive producer and she directed last season's memorable tear-inspiring episode, "Michael's Last Dundies." And she's featured in every episode. We're 25. We need to get on our shit.

7. Have you seen her Subtle Sexuality videos? Mindy-as-Kelly-as-wannabe-pop-star is hilarious.

8. Her breakthrough performance was in a play she co-wrote called "Matt & Ben," in which she played ... Ben Affleck!

9. Even though she's not shy about revealing her personality through her blog and memoir, she remains private about her private life, which is refreshing. A girl's gotta have some secrets.

10. This is even better than Tina Fey's Bossypants haircut picture.

Mindy, I know I'm echoing many of my peers when I say: you are truly an icon for the funny, sometimes awkward, internally dramatic multiculti girls of today.

No comments: